TRING IN 1895
Home Main Index Site Search
 


 

KELLYS DIRECTORY, 1895.
HERTFORDSHIRE: ENTRY FOR TRING.


TRING is a market town and parish on the road to Aylesbury and on the Buckinghamshire border of the county, with a station 1¾ miles distant (and locally in Albury parish), on the London and North Western railway, and 31¾ miles from London; the town is 7 miles south-east from Aylesbury and 4½ north-west from Berkhamsted, in the Western division of the county, in Dacorum hundred and petty sessional division, Berkhamsted union, Aylesbury county court district, and in the rural deanery of Berkhamsted, and archdeaconry and diocese of St. Albans; the Grand Junction canal passes near.  A Local Board of Health of 9 members was established in February, 1859; the town is lighted with gas, by a company, from works in Western Road [Ed. – should read Brook Street].

The church of St. Peter and Paul is an ancient building of stone and flint in the Perpendicular style, with features of an earlier date, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a massive embattled western tower containing 8 bells, dating from 1624 to 1882: the interior was thoroughly restored in 1862 and the church partially rebuilt during the years 1880 and 1881, a new dock, chiming the quarters, being at the same time placed in the tower; the restoration, completed in March, 1882, cost about £3,500, furnished by voluntary contributions.

The register dates from 1566.  The living is a vicarage, corn rent £24, net yearly value £170, with glebe (£18) and residence, in the gift of J. G. Williams Esq. of Pendley Manor, and held since 1892 by the Rev. Samuel Waite Tidswell M.A. of Worcester College, Oxford.

Long Marston, formerly a part of this parish, was formed into a separate ecclesiastical parish in 1871.

The Baptist chapel here affords 450 sittings; there is also a Particular Baptist chapel, seating 1,000, and a Primitive Methodist chapel, with 100 sittings.

The Constitutional Club, in the Western road, is a structure of red brick with stone dressings, erected in 1892, at the sole expense of Joseph Grout Williams Esq. J.P. of Pendley Manor, from designs by Mr. William Huckvale, architect, of Tring, and comprises a reading room, two billiard rooms, a committee room and the usual offices.

The Market House, in the High street, was erected in 1750 and is a building of wood with a tiled roof and iron railings in front.  A market is held on Friday, which in the earlier part of the day is attended by women from the neighbouring villages, who make straw plait and meet here the buyers from Luton and other parts; the corn market is also held here at p.m. throughout the year; the fair on Easter Monday and Old Michaelmas Day is still held.  A sale of fat stock is held in the Cattle Market, Brook street, every Monday at 1.30 p.m.  W. Brown and Co. auctioneers.

The business of the town consists chiefly in canvas weaving, straw plaiting, silk throwing and brewing.  The Victoria Hall in Akeman street, erected in 1886, on the site of the former assembly room, built in 1825, is an edifice of red brick with stone dressings, in the Italian Renaissance style, from designs by Mr. William Huckvale, architect, of Tring, and contains on the ground floor a spacious entrance hall, reading room, library and committee room and on the first floor an assembly room 36 feet by 70 feet, with a platform and seating seat 500 persons; there is also an audit room.

The Literary and Scientific Institute, founded in 1849, has a library of 800 volumes and a reading room; there are now (1894) 50 members.

The Rothschild Museum, erected in 1889, by the Hon. Lionel Walter Rothschild F.R.S. consists of the museum itself, a red brick building of two storeys, and adjoining it at one end a half-timbered house, separated from the museum by a wide stone staircase, which forms the public means of access to the gallery; the museum contains Mr. Rothschild's private Natural History collections, but is open to public inspection on the first three days of the week and on Fridays and is largely visited; the ground floor is devoted to birds and mammals; and the upper floor to sponges corals, molluscs, fishes and reptiles; besides insects and crustaceans.  The collections are now very extensive and are being constantly increased by the labours of special collectors employed by Mr. Rothschild in foreign countries; and the arrangement of the specimens is proceeding under the direction of the curator and his assistants; the Museum house, which has a bold gabled oriel, contains Mr. Rothschilds study, curators room library and entomological cabinets; attached is a taxidermists and general workshop, and a short distance off is a space of ground with cages and also a paddock for the keeping of live animals; Dr. Ernest Hartert and Dr. Carl Jordan, curators.

There are several coal clubs and a district visiting society, all supported by contributions.  The Tring Poors Land, formerly consisting of 107a. 3r. 7p. of land and 3 houses, but now sold and the proceeds invested in Consols, produces an annual income of upwards of £180, and is distributed in coal at Christmas.  The other charities, now consolidated, with an income of about £140, are administered under a new scheme from the Charity Commissioners, dated 1884, which allows the application of its funds in several channels for the benefit of the poor and mainly for the encouragement of thrift and independence.

Tring Park the property and residence of Lord Rothschild, is pleasantly seated amid lovely woodland scenery, with undulating slopes richly timbered on all sides.  Lord Rothschild is lord of the manor of Tring, and Joseph Grout Williams Esq.. J.P. of the manor of Pendley.  The principal landowners are Lord Rothschild and J. G Williams Esq.. J.P. of Pendley Manor, and the Dean and Chapter of Christ College, Oxford.

The soil, which rests on the lower chalk formation. varies considerably.  The area is 7,625 acres of land and 221 water; rateable value, £25,195; the population in 1891 was 5,426, of which 4,986 are attached to the parish church.  The population of the Local Board district in 1891 was 4,525.

Sexton, Alfred Cogger, 18 Frogmore street.

Little Tring and Tring Grove are hamlets.  At Little Tring, 1 mile from Tring, are the Grand Junction Canal Water Works and reservoir; the latter is 405 feet above the sea, being a trifle higher than the summit of St. Pauls, London; there are 55 locks on the canal between Northchurch and the Thames.

WILSTONE is a small hamlet and chapelry of Tring, from which it is 2 miles north-west and 6.5 east from Aylesbury.  The village is pleasantly seated in a valley under the hills, on the Aylesbury canal.  The church of St. Cross, built and opened in 1877, but not yet consecrated, is an edifice of flint and brick, in the Early English style, consisting at present of a nave only, seating about 200 persons.  There is also a small Baptist chapel seating 120. Straw plaiting is the principal employment of the females here.  The area is 690 acres. Post Office. – George Hanwell, sub-postmaster.  Letters arrive at 6.40 a.m.; dispatched at 6.10 p.m.; Sunday, 11.10 a.m.  The nearest telegraph & money order office is at Tring.  Postal orders are issued here but not paid.

National School (mixed), built in 1851, for 100 children; average attendance, 64; Miss Rosina Ingrey, mistress.

Attendance Officer, W. Baines, Tring.


――――♦――――


OFFICIAL ESTABLISHMENTS, LOCAL INSTITUTIONS &c.


Post, M. O. &; T. O., S. B., Express Delivery & Annuity & Insurance Office, Western road. – William Rodwell, postmaster.  Letters arrive from all parts at 4 a.m.; from London & the South at 6.40, 9 a.m. & 3.20 p.m.; from the North at 3 & 5.40 p.m.; deliveries at 7 & 9 a.m. 4 & 6 p.m.  Dispatches, local country post, 4 a.m.; London, North of England, Scotland & Ireland, 6.30 a.m.; Aston Clinton, Weston Turville & Wendover, 9 a.m.  London 9.20 a.m.; London & North & South of England, 12.40 p.m.; London, 2 p.m.; London, Berkhamsted & Harrow, South of England, 3.25 p.m.; Aldbury & Aston Clinton, 4.40 p.m.; London, North & South of England, 8.15 p.m.; London & all parts, 9.45 p.m.; deliveries, Sundays at 7 a.m. dispatched, Sundays at 6.30 p.m.

Wall Boxes: Chapel street cleared at 8.40 a.m. 1.30 & 7.10 p.m.; New Mill cleared at 7.40 a.m. & 7.15 p.m. Sunday 11.50 a.m.; High Street cleared at 8.40 a.m. 12.25 & 7.25 p.m.; Sundays 10.15 a.m.; Akeman Street box cleared at 7.15 a.m. 1.35 & 7 p.m.; Sunday 7·30 a.m.; Tring Station, 8.5 & 11.50 a.m. 2.40, 6.50 & 9.30 p.m.; Sundays, 9.40 a.m. & 9.30 p.m.; Brook Street cleared at 7.45 a.m. & 7.20 p.m.; Sundays 11.55 a.m.; Western Road cleared at 8.40 a.m. 1.30 & 7.10 p.m.; Sundays, no collection; Tring Grove cleared at 7.10 p.m.; Sundays 12.5 p.m.

Parcels Post. – Deliveries daily (Sunday excepted), 8.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; dispatches daily (Sunday excepted), 9.15 a.m. 2.15, 6 & 7.55 p.m.

――――――――

Local Board.

Offices, High Street; board day first Thursday in every month at 3 p.m.


Members.

Butcher Frederick, Frogmore, chairman
Chappell Charles, Dunsley
Clarke Joseph, Park Hill
Crouch Frederick, Miswell Farm
Elliman Thomas Griffin, High Street
Glover Thomas, Park Street
Humphrey William Bayman, Park Road
Pope Edward, Western Road
Smith William, The Hollies
Clerk, Arthur William Vaisey, solicitor, High Street
Treasurer, George Butcher


Medical Officer of Health, William Gruggen L.R.C.P.I., D.P.H.  3 Helena Road, Ealing.
Surveyor, Sanitary Inspector &; Collector, &; Canal Boats Inspector, William Baines, Eastcroft.

――――――――

Volunteers.


2nd (Hertfordshire) Volunteer Battalion, Bedfordshire Regiment (F Company), Capt. S. William Jenney, Jun., Commandant; J. OConnor, sergeant-instructor.

――――――――

Public Establishments.


Police Station, Church lane, Sergeant Joseph Price.
Vestry, at the side of the church, Sergeant Joseph Price, keeper.
Victoria Hall, Akeman street, Thos. Tompkins, proprietor.

――――――――

Public Officers.


Certifying Factory Surgeon, Medical Officer & Public Vaccinator, Aldbury District, Berkhamsted Union, James Brown M.B., C.M.  23 High Street.
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages for Tring Sub-District, James Gibbs Jones, 3 Langdon Street; deputy, William Hall.
Medical Officer, Tring District, Berkhamsted Union, Edwin Joseph Le Quesne M.B.  Elm house.
Rate Collector, Oliver Amsden, Western Road.
Relieving & Vaccination Officer & Collector to the Guardians for Berkhamsted Union, John Cook, Western Rd.
Superintendent of Fire Brigade, William Emery, Frogmore Street.
Vestry Clerk, Arthur William Vaisey, High Street.

――――――――

Places of Worship, with times of services.


SS. Peter & Paul (Parish) Church, Rev. Samuel Waite Tidswell M.A. vicar; 8 & 11 a.m. 3.30 & 6.30 p.m.; holy days 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; daily 6 p.m. & services are also held at the chapel of ease & in the New Mill school room on Sundays at 10.45 a.m. 3 & 7.30 p.m.; Tuesday 7.30 p.m.
Baptist, Akeman Street, by supply; 10.30 a.m. & 2 & 6 p.m.; Monday & Wednesday, 6.45 p.m.
Baptist (Ebenezer), Chapel Street, by supply; 1.30 a.m. & 2 & 6 p.m.; Wednesday 6.45 p.m.
Baptist, New Mill, Rev. Louis Robert Foskett; 10·30 a.m. &. 6 p.m.
Baptist Chapel & Schools, Western Road, Rev. Charles Pearce; 10.30 a.m. & 2.30 & 6 p.m.; Sat. 7 p.m.
Primitive Methodist, Langdon street; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; Wednesday 7 p.m.

――――――――

Schools.


National, West End (boys, girls & infants), built in 1840 & enlarged in 1866, for 550 children; average attendance, 500; Henry Hobson A.C.P. master; Miss Kate Luffman, mistress; Miss Amelia Jones, infants' mistress.
National, New Mill (mixed), built in 1850, for 150 children; average attendance, 96; Miss Augusta Bennett, mistress.
National (infants), King street, built in 1870, for 120 children; average attendance, 85; Miss Minnie Polkinghorne, mistress.
Attendance Officer, W. Baines, 2 Eastcroft, Langdon St.

――――――――


Railway Station, George Buckle, station master & goods manager.
Conveyance.-Omnibus from the Kings Arms, King street, calling at the Rose & Crown, High street, to Tring railway station, several times daily.

――――――――


Carriers.


Aston Clinton-Bethell, Rose & Crown, Fri.
Aylesbury-Crook, from Bell, Thurs.
Hemel Hempstead-Crook, Wed. returning Thurs.
Long Marston-Gregory, from Bell, Fri.
London & parts, per L.&N.W.R. daily; chief office, Rose & Crown hotel, 13 High Street.
Puttenham-Gregory, from Bell, Fri.


――――♦――――

TRING.
 

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Akers John, Mill cottage
Archer Alfred Herbert, Sunnyside,
        Western road
Britton Mrs. Hazely
Brown Arthur M. Beech grove
Brown Frank John, Okeford
Brown Fredk. Wm. 24 High street
Brown Jas. M.B., C.M. 23 High street
Brown John Herbert, 24 High street
Brown Mrs. Beech grove
Butcher Frederick, Frogmore
Butcher Frederick, jun. Tring grove
Butcher George, 20 High street
Butcher Miss, The Laurels
Callow Cecil Burman, Port-e-chee,
        High street
Carr Richardson, Horne farm
Chennells Miss, 2 Park road
Cherry Mrs. New mill
Davison Mrs. Western road
Dawe Arthur, 39 Park road
Dawe Mrs. Park road
Dawe William, 8 Akeman street
Elliman Mrs. Westcroft
Evans Rev. William (curate),
        85 Akeman street
Fleet Mrs. 42 Park road
Fleming Mrs. 5 Whitehouse terrace
Foskett Rev. Louis Robert (Baptist),
Hilden villa, New mill
Foulkes Septimus Gifford, Grove ldg
Glover The Misses, Grange villa,
        Western road
Glover Thomas, 4 Park street
Goodson Miss, 18 Park road
Green Mrs. Downs villa, Park road
Gutteridge James, Chapel street
Hansford Jesse, 44 Frogmore street
Hargest Mrs. 18 Park road
Hartert Ernest, Belle vue, Park road
Hedges Mrs. 55 Westem road
Herring Richard, 24 Park road
Hobbs Henry, Sunnyside, Western rd
Hobson Henry, Western road
Hockey Mrs. Park road
Honour James, 81 Akeman street
Huckvale Wm. White ho. Western rd
Humphrey Wm. Bayman, 25 Park rd
Jolly Mrs. 54 Western road
Jones James Gibbs, Langdon street
Jordan Carl, Park road
King Miss, Rose cottage, High street

Kinnell Mrs. Downs villa, Park road
Le Quesne Edwin Jsph. M.B. Elm ho
Liddington Seabrook, New mill
Maull William Charles, Prospect ho.
        Park road
Mead Albert, The Laurels
Mead Miss, Western road
Mead Thomas, Gamnel
Moulting George Henry, South view,
        Park road
Pearce Rev. Charles (Baptist),
        Western road
Pope Rev. Arthur Frederick M.A. The
        Furlong
Pope Edward, Western road
Putman Mrs. 4 Park road
Robinson Henry, Langdon street
Rodwell William Jesse, 60 Akeman st
Rothschild Lord, Tring park; 148
        Piccadilly S W; Marlborough &
        Brooks’ clubs SW; St. James’
        club W & City Liberal club EC,
        London
Shackel Miss, Western road
Smith Misses, New mill
Smith William, The Hollies
Spurway John M.B., QM. 34 High st
Stitt Rev. Samuel Stewart M.A.
        (curate), 13 Langdon street
Sutton George Edmund G. Grange
        villas, Western road
Taylor Miss, Nightingale cottage
Thompson Richard, Sunnyside,
        Western road
Tidswell Rev. Samuel Waite M.A.
        (vicar), Vicarage
Underwood Mrs. 17 Akeman street
Vaisey Arthur William, Holly field
Walker Henry John, 1 East Croft,
        Langdon street
Walter John Wilson, Hastoe house
Whitchurch James, 53 Westem road
Williams Joseph Grout J .P. Pendley
        manor; & Carlton & Junior Carlton,
        clubs, London SW
William Miss, Hawkwell
Woods Walter, 16 Akeman street
Wright James, 29 Western road
Wright Robert, 38 Park road
Wright Robert, Brook street

COMMERCIAL.

Agricultural Association (Frank John
Wright Walter Edwd. 29 Western rd
Brown, hon. sec.), High street

Allison Edmund, corn dealer 85 con-
        fectioner, 17 High street
Amsden Oliver 85 Edward, coal
        merchants, Western road
Archer Jn. beer retailer, Frogmore st
Ashington William, butchr. New mill
Association for Prosecution of Felons
        (William Huckvale, sec)
Baines William, surveyor, sanitary
        inspector 85 collector to the local
        board, 2 East croft, Langdon street
Baker Henry, beer retailer, Hastoe
Baldwin Jas. tailor 8: drpr. 18 High st
Barber Jane (Mrs.), beer retailer, 25
        Western road
Batchelor Christopher George, fancy
        draper, 29 Akeman street
Batchelor 85 Rodwell, brewers,
        Akeman street
Batchelor George, grocer, 30 & 31
        Akeman street
Batchelor John, farmr. Silk Mill frm
Bedford Danl. hair dresser, 27 High st
Bedford Mark, bird dealr. 47 King st
Birch Louisa (Miss), dress maker, 42
        Akeman street
Bird Ebenezer Charles, printer,
        stationer 85 bookseller, 6 & 7 High st
Bird Joseph, boot maker, 7 Albert st
Bly John, shopkeeper, Frogmore st
Bly William, furniture dealer &
        confectioner, 3, 4, 5 & 11 Akeman st
Booker Ebenezer, fishmngr. 46 High st
Bordycutt William, shopkeeper, 75
        Akeman street
Brandon 85 Sons, house furnishers,
        Western road
Brittain William, furniture dealer, 35a,
        High street
Brockwell George, chimney sweeper,
        27 King street
Brown & Foulkes, land agents,
        surveyors & auctioneers, High street
Brown James M.B., C.M. surgeon &
        medical oflicer,& public vaccinator
        for the Albury district of the
        Berkhamsted union & certifying
        facttory surgeon, 23 High street
Brown John Herbert & Frederick
        William, brewers & wine & spirit
        merchants, 24 High street
Budd Joseph, marine store dealer, 64
        Akeman street
Bull Charles, baker, 15 Charles street
Burch James, tailor, New mill

––––

Burr Herbt. hair drssr. 14 Akeman st
Butcher Thomas 8r Sons, bankers,
High street, branches at Aylesbury
        85 Chesham, Bucks; draw on
        Prescott, Dimsdale, Cave, Tugwell &
        Co. Limited, London EC
Carr Richardson, agent to Lord
        Rothschild, High street
Cato Charles, boot maker, New mill
Cato Charles, canvas manufacturer,
        12 Charles street
Cato Geo. canvas manufr. Park rd
Cato John, boot maker, 2 Chapel st
Chapman Alfred, pawnbroker, 29
        Frogmore street
Chapman John, shoe maker, Albert st
Chappell Chas. farmer, Dunsley farm
Cherry Jas. superintendent at Grand
        Junction Canal Co.’s wks. Bulbourne
Clark Jas. & Son, tailors, Frogmore st
Clarke Jsph. farmr. Park Hill farm
Clement John T. watch &. clock
        maker, 33 High street
Collier Wm. farmer, Shire Lane farm
Cook John, relieving officer &
        Collector to the guardians of Berkham-
        sted union & vaccination officer for
        Tring, Western road
Cosier Jas. & Son, tailrs. Western rd
Crawley Henry 85 Herbert, wheel-
        wrights & iron founders, 52
        Western road
Cross George, tailor, 39 Charles st
Crouch Fredk. farmer, Misewell farm
Darvill James, farmer, Parsonage frm
Edwin Edmd. confectioner, 29 High st
Ellerington Jas. drapr. 47 Frogmore st
Elliman Thomas Grifiin, draper, 49
        High street
Ellis Samuel, tailor, Western road
Emery George, tailor, Western road
Emery Richard, marine store dealer,
        New mill
Emery William, brewer, Frogmore st
Evans Edward, draper, Western road
Fincher William & Son, painters &c.
        38 Albert street St Western road
Fincher Alfred, coal & wood merchant,
        55 King street
Fincher Annie (Mrs.), dress maker,
        1 King street
Fincher Henry, builder, contractor &.
        brick maker, 28 Western road &
Buckland common
Fleet William, The Harrow P.H. &
        cooper, 91 & 92 Akeman street
Foskett Harry & Herbert, boot &
        shoe makers, Western road
Frude Charles Albert, jobmaster,
        Clifton house, Frogmore street
Fulks & Pratt, drapers &c. 39 High st
Fulks James, farmer, Hastoe
Fulks John, dairyman, 36 Charles st
Fulks Wm. butcher, 55 High street
Gas & Coke Co. Robert Hedges,
        sec.; office, 8 Parsonage place;
        works, Western road
Glover & Grace, seed mers. High st
Glover Sarah & Ann (Misses), ladies’
        school, Western road
Glover Thomas & Sons, grocers &
        agents for W. & A. Gilbey Limited,
        wine & spirit mers, 19 High street
Goodchild Peter, beer retlr. New mill
Goodson Thos. & Son, blacksmiths &:
        farriers, 54 High street
Gost E. & H. milliners, 2 Akeman st
Gower John, china & glass dealer,
        57 High street
Gower John, coal dealer, New street
Gower Samuel, general dlr. Henry st
Gower Wm. boot ma. 2 Langdon st
Grace R. & A. bakers, 18 Henry st
Grace Edward, baker, 89 & 90
        Akeman street
Grace Gilbert, manufacturing iron-
        monger, Western road
Grace Thomas, maltster &. corn &
        seed merchants, 15 Akeman street
Grand Junction Canal Water Works &
        Reservoir (Frederick Mew, en-

        gineer; James Cherry, supt.),
        Little Tring
Grange Herbert, farmer, Grove farm
Green Herbert John, grocer & beer
        retailer, Akeman street
Greening Louisa (Mrs.), draper &
        clothier, 31 & 32 High street
Gregory John, Queen’s Arms P.H.
        New mill
Griffin Charles, grocer, Frogmore st
Gurney Joseph, beer retailer, 53 &
        54 Akeman street
Hansford Jesse, school (boys &; girls),
        Tring Grammar School, Victoria hall
Harrison Robert, Robin Hood P.H.
        Brook street
Hedges John & Sons, decorators &
        glaziers, Western road& Parsonage pl
Hick Daniel, insurance agent, West ??
Hill Edwin, head gardener to Lord
        Rothschild
Hill Emma (Mrs.), dress maker, 12
        Akeman street
Hinks Wm. Henry, baker, Western rd
Hinton Sarah (Mrs.), butcher, 31
        King street
Hobbs James, stone & monumental
        mason, 31 Western road
Honour James& Son, contractors,
        brick makers, builders & under-
        takers, Akeman street
Horn Bethia (Miss), linen draper,
        Charles street
Horne Arthur, tailor, 39 Akeman st
Howlett Thos. shopkeeper, King st
Huckvale Wm. architect, Western rd
Humphreys William, boot & shoe
        maker, 13 King street
International Tea Co. (Wm. James
        Warren, manager), 35 High street
Jeffery George, chemist & druggist,
        26 High street
Johnson Frdc. watchma. Western rd
Johnson Hy. fishmonger, 22 High st
Johnson Wm. butcher, 21 High street
Jones Jas. Gibbs, registrar of births,
        marriages & deaths for Tring sub-
        district, 3 Langdon street
Kemp William, Royal Oak P.H. 28
        Akeman street
Kent Wm. haberdasher, 6 Chapel st
Kiff Wm. Hy. jobmaster, Western rd
Kingham John & Sons, shopkeepers,
        Western road
Kingham Hy. farmer, Little Tring
Kingham William, grocer, 45 High st
Knight Sarah (Mrs.), decorator,
        smith, gasfitter, registered plumber,
        mineral water manufacturer &
        stationer, 16 High street
Lawson Joseph Essam, grocer & wine
        & spirit dealer, 25 High street
Le Quesne Edwin Joseph M.B.
        surgeon & medical officer for the
        Tring district of the Berkhamsted
        union, Elm house
Lewis Jsph. King’s Arms P.H. King st
Liddington Rebecca (Mrs.), beer
        retailer & brewer, 1 & 2 High street
Liddington Wm. beer ret. Frogmore st
Lines Daniel, blacksmith, Albert st
Lloyd Wm. The Castle P.H. Park rd
Locke St Smith, maltsters, New mill
Mannington Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper
        & Post office, New mill
Marcham Elizabeth (Mrs.), laundress
Marcham Henry, shopkpr. Western rd
Marsh Frederick Albert, chemist,
        Western road
Maull W. C. boarding school, Park rd
Maunders Charlotte (Mrs.), shop-
        keeper, 24 King street
Mead Brothers, butchers, Western rd
Mead Frederick, coal, hay & straw
        mer. Pendley wharf & Tring station
Mead Thomas miller (wind & steam),
        Gamnel
Mew Frederick, engineer to the Grand
Junction Canal Water Works,
        Little Tring
Osborn David, carpenter, 54 King st

Mullis Lizzie (Mrs.), refreshment
        rooms & shopkeeper, 26 Akeman st
Pangborn Fredk. butcher, Western rd
Parker George, shopkpr. 6 Akeman st
Parrott Geo. coach bldr. Western rd
Parslow John, btchr. Frogmore st
Payne Saml. photographer, Albert st
Pearce David, haberdasher, 3 Albert st
Penn John, Plough inn, 50 High st
Pheasant Jas. ins. agt. 30 Langdon st
Philbey George, threshing machine
        & traction engine proprietor
Pitkin Charles, saddler & harness ma
        30 High street
Poulton Lewis, stationer & printer,
        Frogmore street
Pratt Moses, farmer, Wick farm
Price Chas. shopkeeper, 2 Albert st
Procter Jas. shopkeeper, Lit. Tring
Prouse & Co. saddlers & harness
        makers, Western road
Prudames & Archer M.R.C.V.S. vet.
        surgeons, Western road
Putman Charles, bkr. Fromore st
Putman John, grocer & wine & spirit
        dealer, 53 High street
Rance George, painter & decorator,
        12 Langdon street
Rance Henry, butcher, 70 Akeman st
Rance Nellie (Miss), dressmaker, 40
        Albert street
Rawlins Harry, painter & paper-
        hanger, 4 Langdon street
Reeve Joseph, gardener to Frederick
Butcher esq. Frogmore street
Reeve John, Bell inn, 37 High street
Rickett Wm. seedsman, 38 High st
Rolfe Fredk. boot ma. Frogmore st
Rolfe Henry, coal & coke dealer, 31
        Albert street
Rolfe John, baker, 25 Akeman street
Rolfe Mary Ann (Mrs.), jeweller,
        Frogmore street
Room Polly (Miss), dressmaker, 5
        New Mill terrace
Rothschild N. M. & Sons, silk throw-
        sters (Jn. Akers, mangr.), Brook st
Rothschild Museum (Dr. Ernest
        Hartert & Dr. Carl Jordon, curators);
        open to the public, mon. tues. wed.
        & fri. Park road
Rowe Harriet (Mrs.), dressmaker,
        Parsonage place
Sallery Geo. butcher, 28 High street
        & 20 Akeman street
Sallery Saml. grcr. 21 Akeman street
Scott Rebecca (Miss), dressmaker,
        42 Albert street
Sharman Emily (Mrs), 83 Annie
        (Mrs.), clothiers, 36 High street
Somes George Wright, bootmaker,
        25 Newry street
Smith & Son, builders, Brook street
Smith Dominic (Mrs.), shopkeeper,
        New mill
Smith Thomas, gamekeeper to Lord
        Rothschild, Keeper’s lodge
Stevens George, shopkpr. 1 Albert st
Stevens Hy. wholesale boot manufr.
        15 High st. & 67 & 69 Akeman st
Stevens Robert, beer ret. Western rd
Stevens Saml. grocer, Brook street
Stevenson Wm. shopkeeper, Chapel st
Thorn Jabez, Rose & Crown
        commercial & family hotel & posting
        house; office of the London &. North
        Western Railway Co. & head-
        quarters of the Bicycle Touring
        Club; billiards; 13 High street
Thorp George, grocer, 42, 43 & 44
        High street
Tompkins Alfred James, dyer’s agent,
        9 Langdon street
Tompkins Thomas, ironmonger & tin
        plate worker, 51 & 52 High street;
        works, Akeman street
Tompkins Thos. tailor, 39 Western rd
Tring & District Mutual Building
        Society (Geo. Hy. Moulting, sec.),
        South view.
Tring Co-operative Industrial & Provi-

––––

        dent Society Limited (Jethro Felix
        Marshall, manager), High street &
        Western road
Tring Constitutional Club (J. G. Wil-
        liams esq. J.P. president, Henry
        Robinson, sec.), Western road
Tring Fat Stock Sale (H. Brown 85
        Co. auctioneers), Brook street
“Tring Gazette” (Lewis Poulton,
        proprietor ; published Friday),
        Frogmore street
Tring Literary & Scientific Institute
        (Hy. Hobson, sec.; R. E. Webb,
        librarian), Western road
Ullatt Thomas Laxton, The George
        P.H. & corn dealer, Frogmore st
Underwood Harry, grocer, Western rd
Vaisey Arthur William, solicitor &
        commissioner for taking oaths &
        clerk to the local board & vestry
        clerk, steward to Manors of Pend-
        ley, Wigginton, Bunstrux, Coventry
        & Crowlands, High street
Victoria Hall (Thomas Tompkins,
        proprietor), Akeman street
Volunteer Battalion 2nd (Hertford-
        shire), Bedfordshire Regiment (F
        Co.) (Capt. S. William Jenney, jun.

        commandant; Sergeant J .O’Connor,
        instructor)
Wade Sarah (Mrs.), shopkeeper,
        Akeman street
Warren Daniel, insurance agent, 73
        Brook street
Waterton Albert Mark, butcher,
Western road
Watson Joseph, Britannia inn, Wes-
        tern road
West Herts Farmers’ Association (S.
        G. Foulkes, esq. sec.), High street
Whitcomb William Shepheard, tem-
        perance hotel, Goldfield, Western rd
White & Putman, millers (wind),
        Goldfield mill
Wilkie Isabella (Mrs.), newsagent,
        22 Akeman road
Wilkins James Parker, farmer, Gamnal
        farm
Wilkins Job, shopkeeper, 25 New
        Mill terrace
Woodman John, Green Man P.H. &
        brewer & toll clerk, 5 High street
Woodcock Sidney, br. ret. Frogmore st
Working Men’s Club (A. H. Brown,
        sec.), Frogmore street
Wright Edward, carpenter, New mill

Wright Geo. butcher, 40 Akeman st
Wright George & Sons, butchers,
14 High street
Wright James, miller (steam), Hastoe
Wright Thos. cabinet ma. Charles st
Wright Walter Edward, boys’ school,
White house
Young Matthew, shopkpr. Henry st

WILSTONE.
COMMERCIAL

Cartwright William, beer retailer
Collins Charles, fishmonger
Goodson Thomas, blacksmith
Greening Jsph. farmer, Chapel farm
Gregory George, farmer
Hanwell. George, baker, Post ofiice
Hare Joseph, wheelwright
Mead Thomas, farmer, Gubblecot
Newman Wm. farmer, Gubblecot
Price Thomas, farmer, Startops end
Reeve James, Half Moon P.H
Rose Thomas, butcher
Tomlin Sarah (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Waring Thomas, hay & straw dealer
Webb Thomas, shopkeeper
White & Putman, bakers
Woodman Henry, farmer


――――♦――――

 



[Home] [Main Index] [Site Search]

Correspondence should be addressed to.... Webmaster@Gerald-Massey.org.uk